||[Apr. 27th, 2008|04:43 pm]
Thai (and other SE Asian) soups are one of my favourite things in the world, and I've been experimenting with different recipes recently. Here's a recipe for
Banana soup - claims to serve 4 but my boyfriend and I ate the lot as a starter, it was so good!
1 tbsp oil
50g spring onions, sliced (save some for garnish)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
200ml coconut milk
400ml vegetable stock (or chicken if you don't want a veggie version)
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
3 tsp fish sauce (I used a veggie version, or you can replace it with soy sauce)
1 large banana, peeled and sliced
1 large red chili, sliced (save a few bits for garnish)
Fresh coriander to garnish
1. Fry about half of the banana in hot oil until golden and slightly crispy, then set aside.
2. In the same pan, fry the spring onion and garlic in the hot oil.
3. Add the coconut milk, stock, lime juice, pepper, fish sauce, the rest of the banana and the chili.
4. Cook for about 5 minutes until hot, then blend in a food processor.
5. Add the reserved banana slices, and garnish with a few chili slices, spring onion and coriander leaves.
Also, does anyone have any recipes for SE Asian style soup that's either vegetarian or doesn't rely on meat or fish for the taste (i.e. meat/fish could be left out or replaced with tofu)? I'm running out of recipes in the books that I have!